Monday, April 6, 2015


Easter really isn't a big deal here in Bolivia, but the members we live with actually celebrate, Easter Egg Hunt and all! On Easter Sunday we were outside studying and the kids that live there started doing their Easter Egg Hunt... It was so cute watching them find the eggs and watching the grown-ups give clues to where they had been hidden. Sure made me think of my family back home... :) Then they came out back and gave us little baggies of chocolates and treats... even a decorated hard-boiled egg. It's so nice living with cute members that take care of us so well, and they make us feel right at home. My only Easter in Bolivia was definitely a good one.

I'm doing well, and so is the teaching... It was a little slow this week, between conference and doctor's appointments, but good. :) Leonise is about to be officially "rescatada," or "reactivated." (Literal translation is "rescued, which is pretty cool.) The thing that bums me out is that even though I have been here to give her all of the lessons, it won't count until next week, which is after transfers. :/ But, some of us sow, and others reap, right?
I remember when I first got to this area, me and Hermana Mejia used to pass by a lot, and no one ever let us in... But one day Leonise called us out of the blue, we set up an appointment, and came over. Leonise is a 20 year old, single college student, and the only member in her family. She's learning English, and is one of the most go with the flow, happy people I have ever met. Her family, even though they aren't members, always receives us with open arms, and with really REALLY good food (all of them can cook. ALL OF THEM.). In planning what to teach her, we had felt prompted to teach about the holy ghost... And as we sat in the lesson, I felt prompted to ask her if she had ever had an experience in which the Spirit had touched her life. She said "The day I called you. I just felt like I had to call the missionaries and I still had the number in my phone, so I called." She talked about how she had friends outside of the church, but it's not the same as her friendships in the church. We all sat in silence for a second and just felt the spirit, and she continued "I have to listen to you.... I have to listen to the lessons."
I got to watch as she began to talk about marriage in the temple, and just bask herself in Young Single Adults and the friendships she had made there. She loves this gospel, and every time we teach her, she just soaks everything we say in. I really came to love her in my time here, and she taught me more than I ever could have taught her.
I'm still healthy! :) All is fine on the health front, thank goodness.
I haven't used a real washing machine yet, I'm going to later today, but this week I realized that they also have a dryer, which is just unreal... No line-drying for me this week, thank you very much!

Transfers are this week. And I am very, very nervous. They say that leaving your first area can be pretty rough, especially if you've spent a lot of time there.


Conference was AWESOME. I LOVE CONFERENCE. We all watched it in the Stake Center, and on Saturday it wasn't too full, but on Sunday EVERYONE came. It was crazy though, because it was raining.... hard... And the signal was lost and we couldn't watch it and for 15 minutes of the Sunday Morning Session, all of the missionaries (two zones) in the building were freaking out. We had to get it hooked up to internet, ("everyone in the building PLEASE turn off your WiFi") and it finally worked. We missed most of the prophet's talk, but we were still happy. I was also able to watch it in English with the other missionaries from the states, which was pretty cool. It was funny, so many times a speaker was announced and you would just hear murmurs of approval from all of us... and when L. Tom Perry talked about how a Muslim from Iran in this conference of religious leaders quoted virbatem (I hope that's how you spell that word) the Family: A Proclamation to the World, we were all so stoked... It was a pretty cool way to watch conference.
I love you guys SO much and I appreciate your love and prayers so much more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment